Friday, December 18, 2009

Cutting, Cutting, Cutting (the book continues)




I looked for faces with interesting profiles everywhere. Cutting the silhouettes took three weeks. I went through almost 100 #11 x-acto knife blades. The pages that were cut away left wonderful negative spaces giving me a great collection of reverse silhouettes (a future project?).




No matter how often I changed the blade I ended up with some fuzzy edges. I realized that it didn't matter because while we do remember the people from the books we read when we are young, the memories fade and the edges become fuzzy. So the piece will read: The people in the books we read, especially when we are young, become a part of us. The memories may fade and the edges become soft, but they are with us forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment